The long wait is over. Google, in its largest developer event of the year, I/O, announced the launch of Android 2.2 which is code named as Froyo. The next level of mobile OS comes with various modifications over the previous one, making it faster and more efficient.
Let’s begin with the speed. Android 2.2 will run 2-5 times as fast as the previous one, courtesy a just-in-time compiler. Google also claims that Froyo, has the world’s fastest mobile browser. The implementation of the V8 Java Script engine boosts the browser speed to 2-3 times over the previous versions.
The new OS comes with WiFi Tethering, which means that you will be able to use the phone’s 3G internet connection to hook up your laptop to the world wide web. Simply put, the OS enables to use your phone as a modem. It also supports USB Tethering which is faster than wifi of course.
What if, you want to spread your 3G connectivity wireless-ly to other devices. Well, Froyo will take care of that. The OS supports mobile hot spot. Now, whether it will be free or some cost will be put on it , is up to the carriers.
Other specific features include:
- Adobe Flash 10.1 – Froyo is the first Android OS , with full support for Adobe Flash and Adobe Air.
- SD Card installations- This will take care of your app installations on your phone. You will get to choose where to install your app, on your phone memory or on the memory card.
- Auto Update (optional)- No more worries about updating your apps manually. Froyo comes with an auto update option.
- Desktop to handset music streaming.
- Cloud to device messaging- It sounds cool isn’t it. Actually it is cool. It means developers can build web based functions that will communicate with your phone.
- Re-vamped Google voice search.
Google will be keeping an eye on the forthcoming launch of iPhone OS 4 on June 7. Only time will tell, which one is better, Froyo or iPhone OS 4.
images via Endgadget